ALL YOU NEED FOR YOUR FIRST CRUISE
If you are considering going on a cruise, you have come to the write place, as this post uncovers all you need for your first cruise. Over the past months, I have shared some amazing travel destinations with you, and taught you how to explore them without breaking the bank. On that note, today we will be moving on to a different dimension…CRUISING!
A cruise vacation is significantly different, everything from the exceptional level of personal service, world class entertainment, and outstanding amenities, to the gourmet cuisines, are simply surreal. Cruise lines offer the most enriching activities I have come across and I totally recommend having a cruise experience at least once in your lifetime. ABSOLUTELY worth it!
I will be dividing today’s post into 2 parts. On first part will be taken this week, I’ll be sharing the essential items and all you need for for your first cruise. I’ll also uncover the best kept cruise secrets and on-board tips. Then, next week I will take the second part where I will be showing you how to book cruises, the best tricks on how to save money while cruising and other useful information.
ALL YOU NEED FOR YOUR FIRST CRUISE
CRUISE ESSENTIALS + ITEMS YOU NEVER THOUGHT OF
Following my first big cruise experience, I thought an article to guide future cruisers will be very helpful. I personally made a huge mistake of just parking the obvious things like a bikini, hat, t-shirt, shorts etc. and I missed the little things that were very vital. So, here is a detailed list of the important items you need for an amazing experience;
Lanyard: Before getting on-board a sea pass is issued which you will need for practically everything from opening your room, to shopping, accessing casinos, placing orders etc. You don’t want to forget the pass and get stuck on-board so wearing it on a lanyard makes it very handy.
Magnets: The walls of the ship are made of metal. This small but extremely vital item can be used to place your cruise compass on your wall. Saving space and providing better visibility as you plan for the days ahead.
Highlighter: Given the endless list of activities on the cruise compass, the only way to map out what activities to engage in each day is by using a highlighter. You will absolutely appreciate having one.
Hand sanitizer: Cruise Ships are the easiest places for spreading a virus so having a hand sanitizer saves you more than you can imagine! It can factually save your life.
Waterproof phone case: With all the aqua activities going on both in and out of the ship, the least thing you want to do is carry along a wet phone
Netflix: You must be wondering what Netflix is doing on this list…LOL! well on sea days when the ship doesn’t stop at any port, you will have ample time to relax and lazy in bed so Netflix and chill comes in handy.
Wine and Cock screw: The cost of buying a bottle of wine on board is almost 3 times more than in a regular store. Since most cruises let you take 2 bottles of wine on board, endeavor to do so and sip away on those nights you just want to lounge by the balcony, this will definitely come in handy.
Lip balm: Think sailing, think breeze wind and more breeze. Your lips tend to get dry so, having a balm is very useful in preventing a crack.
Wrist watch: Time on the ship is always different from local time as you cruise through different time zones. Best option is having your watch set to the time onboard or set your phone NOT to change based on local time
Sunscreen: I cannot emphasize more. The sun is real…mostly at the top deck of the ship where you have the pools.
Insect Repellant: Very self-explanatory, avoid insects and they will avoid you. Trust me you don’t want the itchy bumps those creatures bring.
Wrinkle release Spray: Honestly, I name this item a life saver. Irons are not allowed onboard so a wrinkle release spray does the trick.
Money belt: Even though the rooms all have a safe, carrying your money on the go is always safer.
Resistant Flip-flops and water shoes: For maximum comfort, flip-flops or water shoes are the best. They never disappoint.
Intl. travel adapter + USB port: Save time by charging all your gadgets at the same time. Phone + Power-bank +Camera etc.
Evening dress (Suit for guys): Get ready to play dress up and walk the red carpet as some evenings on board are formal nights and require formal clothing.
ON-BOARD SECRETS,TIPS AND TRICKS
Whether it’s your first cruise or not, I have compiled these cruise secrets and tips for you. It ranges from small but helpful tips, to firsthand useful information to have in mind while you sail.
- Being friends with a crew member (waiters, bar tender etc.) is a major key as they have all the tips and best advises to offer.
- Participate in raffle draws, contests, pamper parties, and games shows on-board. I was lucky to win so many goodies on my last cruise just by using this tip.
- You can order a 2nd, 3rd, 4thor even 5thentrée, main course or dessert in the restaurants at no extra charge.
- For best deals of shopping on-board, always wait until the deals start. The price drop is unbelievable.
- Free medication is available at the guest services desk and also medical room (do not waste your money buying pills).
- Jail on the cruise is actually a real thing so be in your best behavior
- Want free SPA treatment? Well then, sing up for info sessions as they always ask for volunteers when they advertise the services.
- For moms, in-room babysitting is available so don’t be afraid to party hard.
- YES. The upgrade fairy exists so your cabin can be up upgraded.
- Always take a photo of your “highlighted daily cruise compass”. It is very essential.
- Make sure to have 1-dollar bills on you for tips, nobody likes the person who doesn’t leave tips.
- The stairs are most times faster than the elevators
- Most times ocean view rooms are not really ocean view but just a small window.
- Unlike an airplane, luggage allowance on the Ship has no restriction
- Fake a special occasion to get free stuff just like I always do. Fun-fact- I have faked my birthday 4 times this year LOL!
- Taking food from the ship with you to the port of calls, and vice versa is forbidden
- Booking your next cruise on-board guarantees more perks
Now that you have a list of all you need for your first cruise, here is a detailed Cruise guide to help you book best rates, get freebies and prepare for your next vacation?.
Enjoyable read! Definitely using all these tips when i book my next cruise! ??????
Great!!! Book for me too please 🙂
Very helpful tips. Would use this for my boat cruise next year.
And send me photos while cruising ?